What is Ed & Bph (erectile dysfunction & benign prostatic hyperplasia)
What is ED?
- ED is a medical condition that causes problems getting or maintaining an erection
- Approximately 18 million men in the United States alone have ED
- ED is more common in older men, but can happen at almost any age—even to those who have never had issues with sexual function before
- ED is treatable in most cases
What factors increase the risk for ED?
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Diabetes (high blood sugar)
- High cholesterol
- Nerve diseases (such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis)
- Surgery or injury (especially prostate, bladder, or rectal surgery)
- Abnormal hormone levels (testosterone or thyroid)
- Lifestyle factors (like smoking, drinking alcohol in excess, being overweight, not being physically active, or using recreational drugs)
- Side effect of some medications (including high blood pressure medication and antihistamines)
- Emotional or personal issues (such as ongoing stress or relationship problems, depression, or anxiety about sexual performance)
Does age play a role in ED?
- Age alone does not lead to ED
- ED can be treated no matter your age*
- ED is often caused by other health problems that your doctor should know about, like heart disease or diabetes—which are also more common with age
How does CIALIS treat ED?
- When you get an erection, blood flows into your penis and is temporarily trapped there, creating pressure in the surrounding chambers that causes your penis to expand. When you have ED, this process is interrupted
- CIALIS increases blood flow to your penis and may improve the ability to get erections and maintain them until sexual intercourse is successfully completed
- CIALIS may also improve the overall satisfaction with the hardness of erections
- After sexual intercourse is completed, the erection should go away. But in the rare event of an erection lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid permanent damage
- You should not get an erection just by taking CIALIS. Sexual stimulation is required for CIALIS to work